Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A Decade

Then and now!

On Friday, April 4th, we reached a milestone, our 10th wedding anniversary! I woke up that day sad since Jason is away and I knew I would be spending our 10th wedding anniversary alone. Now, I think we have been together on the actual day of our anniversary maybe half of our ten years, so I am used to not celebrating on the actual day. But, since 10 is a big one, I was a little depressed about this one! He is in Virginia right now and when I talked to him earlier in the week he said he would drive home Friday if he could. Then on Thursday he called and said they were not letting leave the area this weekend and there was no way he could come home. I believed him because it sounds like something that would happen! He called me early in the morning to wish me a Happy Anniversary, but only had a second to talk. I only heard from him a few times that day, and only briefly, because each time he was on his way to a class or had to be somewhere in the next few minutes. I kept myself busy that day, working in the yard all afternoon, mowing and raking. I ran to Lowes after I got Aiden from school and picked up some bags of mulch. (dragging 3 kids and 18 bags of mulch through Lowes and loading them into my car was no small feat!) I came home and immediately starting spreading the mulch. I worked until the boys were literally banging on the windows from inside the house begging for dinner and Ryleigh had taken off all her clothes outside and was running around the yard in just a diaper. I heated up some dinner for the kids and was just getting it on the table when I heard the door open. To paint you a better picture, I should describe what I looked like. :) When you mow in this lovely state of SC you kick up a lot of dust, dirt and sand, it kind of covers you with a nice gritty layer all over. My clothes were filthy, mulch stuck in my hair and on my clothes, my face streaked with dirt. Not a pretty sight. :) I turned towards the garage door, wondering what kid was escaping and there stood Jason! With flowers and a card. I was shocked! I am not easy to surprise. :) He drove all day to be here for our anniversary. It was the best gift I have ever received on an anniversary! Thanks honey for spending so many hours on the road for such a short time at home! Thank you for 10 wonderful years and this great life you have provided for us. You are an unbelievable husband (and father) and I know I am the luckiest girl in the world to have you in my life. I love you!!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know that I would not have it any other way, honey...Lots of craziness in our lives, but it is has been wonderful to go through it with ya.....see you on Friday...Love you so....Jas

girlebert said...

oh my.., as I wipe tears from my eyes..., you guys are a real inspiration to us all!!!

Anonymous said...

Erin you should work for A news paper for you write such good stories. Glad you had a good Anniversary with Jason.

G-dad

SES said...

A heartwarming tale indeed. Happy Anniversary!

Brian and Jen said...

What a great story... you seriously do need to write a book to record all these... then again, I guess that's what a blog is for, huh? :)
Happy Anniversary!
jen :)

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope you showered before you had dinner!

Allison Sangree said...

What an awesome story! You guys are great!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JASON & ERIN!!!

With love from the Sangrees

Christian said...

WOW! 10 years! Congrats! What a great story of Jason coming up for a surprise visit, too. So happy for you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh that was so sweet!!! Lol I laughed so hard, because I could picture how you looked Erin and it was hilarous to me. :) But i bet Jason still thought you looked beautiful. ;)
Happy Anniversary Erin and Jason! I'm glad that you guys did not have to spend it alone.

Love you all!
Ashleigh

Anonymous said...

Oh that was so sweet!!! Lol I laughed so hard, because I could picture how you looked Erin and it was hilarous to me. :) But i bet Jason still thought you looked beautiful. ;)
Happy Anniversary Erin and Jason! I'm glad that you guys did not have to spend it alone.

Love you all!
Ashleigh

Vicki & Bruce said...

Boy am I slacking! Happy Anniversary several blog days late! The story was great hearing it from you, but the anticipation of hearing it from Jason as he drove to see you and knowing how excited you would be was even better!

Amy said...

That was so sweet! Happy Belated Anniversary!

Earl and Gail said...

awww! my eyes are watering. how very sweet! happy anniversary you two! glad you got such a great surprise Erin!

SB said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! What a great story and a great memory to take with you! I wish you all the best. I am so glad to see a Marine Corps family with such strength!!

Ryan said...

That is too cute. Updated my blog check it out.