Friday, January 23, 2009

Snow in the South




I had been hearing rumors that we were supposed to get snow, but since I don't really watch the news and I didn't think it snowed here, I thought it was purely rumor. Especially on Monday morning when we woke up to a beautiful day with temperatures in the 60's. Alex and Ryan left that day and I remember saying to them "Yeah, I don't think we will be getting that snow I have been hearing about." Tuesday morning we woke up to colder temperatures and what looked like rain, although I thought I saw a few snow flurries in the air. Jason had off that day, so after I got Aiden ready for school, he took him. Then, since it was Inaugural Day, I thought I should at least take a peek at the news and see what was going on this historic day. When I started watching the news I saw at the bottom of the screen all these schools closing, which I figured had to be more north of us, but not here, for goodness sake it was just flurries! But sure enough in a few minutes I saw Aiden's school scroll across the screen. I called Jason, who by now had gotten to the school and already figured it out, since no one was there. :) Aiden was thrilled of course, I was amused. Cancel school for this?? But, we were excited to have another day home and then we were excited to see it actually did start to snow. By afternoon the roads were covered and it was coming down "hard" for southern standards. I heard that the last time they had a "snow storm" here there was an 102 accidents on the main highway in one afternoon. So I guess it was a good thing they closed the schools!

Now, don't laugh, but this was a big deal to the kids! They have never had snow at their own house!

Later in the afternoon it was coming down a little harder



Snow angels!


A reverse snow angel??





We don't even have proper snow gear, but we made do. :)



Aiden is saying "I LOVE snow days!!!"






Our back deck In the morning - across the street

In the afternoon - across the street.
A perfect day to build a fort



There is nothing like a snow day. Everyone home, warm in the house, just hanging out. Been a long time since we had one of those and we thoroughly enjoyed it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You southern people are funny.

Vicki & Bruce said...

Sorry I didn't comment yesterday! Love that the kids finally got some snow to play in of their own!

Brian and Jen said...

So glad you guys got snow down there- how fun for your kids! :)We have lots here but Natalie and Blake still haven't quite figured out what to do in it yet besides fall in it... maybe a couple more years. :)

The Taylor 4Times said...

wow-- talk about hormones. I just spent the last hour reading your blog, crying and missing you guys. Yall look great, the kids look happy, but I want my neighbors back. Love you-- Michelle